Sunday, February 23, 2014

Blog Post 6 - How A PLN Will Change Your Life

Okay...maybe it won't actually change your life, but it will definitely make surfing the internet a lot more convenient! The PLN (Personal Learning Network) system I chose was Symbaloo, and yes, when I first created my account, I was dreading whatever work was awaiting me. However, I quickly became amazed that I was never aware of this website until now. I actually chose to make my Symbaloo my home web address because I like the setup so much.

A PLN is something that every educator should be aware of, as well as something that every student should make use of. I have been in college for three years now, and I really wish someone had told me about PLN's sooner because I think mine will really help to keep my web searches, social networking, homework, and entertainment options organized in a neat way. A PLN is something that should be used to help you, not annoy you...and why would it? These things are great! PLN's are a tool used to access multiple different accounts and/or sites at one time, from one central location. Symbaloo makes use of the "app" look and has all of your tiles draggable, which is really nice if you're already used to using an iPhone or other Mac product. Instead of a Google image search result of Symbaloo, I actually screenshot my personal Symbaloo, see below:

My Personal Symbaloo
When I become an educator, I will be absolutely positive that I teach my students about PLN's because I know that they will be forever grateful that I taught them to use Symbaloo, as an example, as early as I did. For me, personally, Symbaloo is really convenient when you're doing homework or planning a wedding...both of which I am currently doing. I am in the process of adding several wedding website tiles to my Symbaloo in order for me to keep up with all of my important dates, people whom I've booked to do a job at my wedding, and of course, my personal wedding website. This PLN thing will also be great for my insane amounts of social networking, checking my email, and online shopping (hello, Forever 21!).

P.S. The Symbaloo link at the beginning of my blog is my personal Symbaloo, so feel free to follow me there!

Welcome to My Personal PLE
Developing a PLN in EDM 310
Building Your PLN-A Primer For Anyone

1 comment:

  1. You confuse a tool (Symbaloo) with a process. A PLN consists of the people, websites, resources that are useful to your learning. Symbaloo is a useful tool to make use of your PLN.

    ReplyDelete