Sunday, February 9, 2014

Blog Post 4 - How to Ask Questions in the Classroom

How do we know what questions are the right questions to ask? How do we know that our questions will benefit our students? What types of questions will help with our teaching methodology? As a teacher, it is so important to be continuously learning; the day that we stop learning is the day that our teaching careers become jeopardized. It seems, today, that so many teachers are gradually forgetting that their students are not the only ones in the classroom, but that they are in an environment of learning, as well. I believe that asking questions will, not only provide new ways of thinking for our students but, allow us to continue to learn from our students, as well.

While reading Asking Questions to Improve Learning, I learned that it is important to not ask questions that can be misleading to a younger mind. Asking a question that can help sculpt their mind should, surprisingly, be open-ended because it forces students to think critically. When a question is left without much explanation from the teacher, the student is able to assess what they know and formulate a legitimate response, or it can cause them to realize that they really need to learn a topic more in-depth. As I previously stated in my summary of Marc Prensky's vlogs, it is equally as important to remind children that it is okay to not answer every question correctly; we need to teach them that thinking deeper and more uniquely is the important task. Besides, we all know that it is adorable and entertaining to see what kind of responses you can get from a small child. I once asked my seven-year old niece (today is her birthday, Happy Birthday Ella Bug!) if she knew much about about the atmosphere or the solar system because she asked me how we were able to tell that it was cold enough for her to have to wear a jacket. I asked her, "What do you think the solar system is?" To which she responded, "Well, I know there are planets. Lots of them. And I know that the sun is really, really hot, but I'm confused about something. How has the sun not burned up the whole Earth?" Now, I'm no science major, but I said the first thing I could come up with, "Well, Ella, there's this thing called the atmosphere that protects us from all the harmful stuff in outer space. AND the sun is actually reeeeally far away from us right now." Back to Ella, "Okay, but what about this whole spinning thing? We're spinning right now?! I don't feel a thing!" Me- "Yes! We are spinning, but we're doing it so slowly that we can't feel it." Ella-"How come we don't spin around and hit other planets and run into the sun? Why hasn't the Earth like blown up or something by now? This makes no sense. I just wanted to know why it's cold outside." Me-"I know it makes no sense. I have no real reason for anything. I just know it's cold and you're going to wear a coat. Got it?" Ella-"Got it, boss."

That story is a perfect example of why I have to be a teacher! I have to be asked difficult questions, give my best answers, and ask silly questions back to my students. I have to watch them learn because it makes my heart happy to see their little faces light up with joy! Asking questions is so important for teachers to do because it benefits the students' ability to think long-term; however, it is also important to always remember that our students will probably ask us the most important questions ever. Young minds are eager to learn, and while their thoughts may seem goofy at times, they are genuine and we need to appreciate that. Always be grateful that you get to learn WITH your students!

Teachers Who Love Teaching Owl

2 comments:

  1. First of all, Happy Birthday to your niece! That story is adorable. From experience, children are very inquisitive, especially at a younger age. I think it's important as educators that we continue to encourage children to ask questions well into adulthood. Hopefully, more will follow the example you set Ms. Stalvey.

    ReplyDelete