Sunday, April 6, 2014

C4K March

My C4K for this month were both students from other countries, which I thought was really cool. The first was Hine, a year 5 student from Mrs. She's class in New Zealand. In the entry I responded to, she had just had a class picnic and posted a video slideshow of pictures from the day. "Hello Hine! I am Catherine Stalvey, and EDM 310 student in the United States. Your picnic looked like a blast! I remember having picnics when I was younger, and I remember having a fall festival every year at my school that was a lot like your picnic. I saw in your video that some students were hula hooping-that was my favorite thing to do when I was in second grade...even though I wasn't all that great at it. I hope you are having a great year at school and that you are learning a lot! I will definitely be keeping up with your posts from here on out. New Zealand must be an amazing place to live! I have a friend moving there soon and I am very jealous of her. Have you ever visited the States? It's pretty nice over here, too. Have a great day!"

Next was Grace, a 7th grader, who posted about her experience with what seemed like our version of an International Festival. She said they called it Fia fia, and that all the students were divided into groups, where they learned a dance or some kind of presentation that they would show to their classmates. She was so excited because she was in a group with one of her friends. "Hi Grace! My name is Catherine and I am a student at a university in the United States. I have never heard of Fia fia before, but it sounds really interesting and fun! When I was younger, we used to have a day that we called "International Day" where we did the same thing-brought different foods, candy, treats. International Day was more like stuff from different countries, but it was the same idea. It sounds like you really enjoyed being in the Niuean group, and I bet you were crazy excited when you found out your friend was in it with you! I hope you enjoy all the days you have left in school this year! Good luck!"

Both of my students from the month of March struck me as energetic, fun-loving kids (seriously though, what kid isn't both of those qualities) who truly enjoyed posting things on their blogs. They seemed like they really took the time to decide what they were going to say before they just started typing, and I thought that was really admirable coming from such young students.

No comments:

Post a Comment