Sunday, April 27, 2014

Summary of Jerrid W. Kruse - C4T #4

My final C4T teacher was probably my favorite out of the teachers I was assigned this semester. Jerrid W. Kruse is a man of wit and extremely dry sarcastic remarks...but boy does he make some amazing points through his blog. In the first entry I read by him, Engaged or Entertained?, he discusses the basics of his viewpoints on technology in the classroom. Here is my response to him: I, too, believe that technology can be both a good and a bad thing in the classroom. Too much of anything is never a good idea, no need for overkill. I’m in a course this semester where I am learning all about technology in the classroom, not by memorizing anything, but by just doing it. When I started the course, I hated the idea of having most forms of technology in my classroom, for fear of them taking over my own ability to teach my students (also, I’m a big proponent of enhancing creativity and social interaction). However, as the semester has progressed, I have come to love the use of a SMARTboard and several iPads or tablets in the classroom. A SMARTboard is so efficient and can allow your students to see all the things on the internet at the same time as you, when you pull them up. The use of a tablet is a great idea because the students can learn on their own time! There is no leaving students behind by breezing through material, or slowing down to avoid leaving someone behind. Everyone works independently…until you utilize Project Based Learning and require your students to work together toward a common goal. PBL is the best way to use technology, in my opinion, because the options are endless! You can do so much as a group if you are using the internet or any other technological resource. I really like your blog entries-they’re quirky and fun and really enjoyable to read.

The second blog entry I read by Mr. Kruse, Teaching Responsibility was the post that really hit home for me. I am a combination of an over-organize list-maker and a professional procrastinator. His post covered setting deadlines for students and his curiosity about whether or not his students were really learning anything by not having set deadlines. Here is my second response: I heart due dates. I'm a list maker and if I add something to my list that is due soon, I am way more likely to do it right then than to wait until right before it's due at the end of a semester. I think due dates throughout the year are a good way to keep track of whether or not your students are actually learning-almost like an educational checkpoint. I think they can do nothing but enhance the learning environment. No one can avoid deadlines forever.

Like I said, Jerrid Kruse really was my favorite teacher to read posts by because I could relate a lot to his humor and quirky, snide comments. I read over several of his other entries and I really liked his perspective on teaching and remembering that, as teachers, we set the tone for not only the classroom, but potentially the education of our students for the rest of their lives. His posts were incredible!

Marker with Calendar

No comments:

Post a Comment